Version Française

St. Andrew’s Anglican Church

This historic church is a fine Gothic Revival structure that was built in 1850 under the instruction of Rev. James Hudson.  It was designed after Aghavallen Church in County Kerry, Ireland.  Also, a small adjoining cemetery is the resting place of several prominent early pioneers to the area.

Located at 186 Pleasant Street.  Call 506-622-7614.

St. James and St. John United Church

This church was built by master builder William Murray in 1829 and is of Greek Revival design.  Built as St. James Presbyterian Church on the site of the partially burnt church that was destroyed by the Great Miramichi fire of 1825.  The white pine timbers salvaged from the forest and used in the construction bear scorch marks from the fire.  Rev. William Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook’s father, served as minister here for 23 years and the church manse was Lord Beaverbrook’s boyhood home.  The cemetery is the final resting place of Hon. Peter Mitchell, Father of Confederation, benefactors John Harkins and Ernest Hutchison and Rev. Aitken.

Located at 556 King George Highway.  Call 506-622-1598.

St. Paul’s Anglican Church

The earliest (1822-1823) example of a known building constructed by a noted Miramichi builder, William Murray.  Records of burials and baptisms dating back to 1822 and marriages to 1833.  John M. Johnson, Father of Confederation, two children of Joseph Cunard (Cunard Shipping Lines) and Dr. John Vondy are buried in the cemetery.

Located at 750 Water Street.  Call 506-622-2916.

St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church

Built in 1896 after the original church burnt in 1883, this beautiful stone church, Gothic in style, has an overhead vault of exposed rafters.

Located at 10 St. Patrick’s Drive.  Call 506-622-5733.

St. Michael the Archangel Basilica

Constructed in 1903, St. Michael’s Basilica has been acclaimed as one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in Canada.  Visit the museum located next door.

Located at 10 Howard Street.  Call 506-778-5152.